Senate Republicans and Democrats announced and ratified committee assignments for the 116th Congress, which includes both Alabama and Florida delegates.
Sen. Richard Shelby (R-AL) will serve as the Senate Appropriations Chairman. Both Sen. Shelby and Sen. Doug Jones (D-AL) are on the Senate Banking Committee. Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) will continue serving on the Appropriations Committee, and Sen. Rick Scott (R-FL) will serve on the Budget Committee and Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee.
The full list of committee assignments for the Senate Appropriations, Banking, Commerce, Finance and Judiciary Committee can be found on CUNA’s Removing Barriers Blog.
Leadership of Senate committees that have jurisdiction over credit union issues include:
- Senate Appropriations Committee: Sen. Richard Shelby (R-AL), chairman and Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT), ranking member;
- Senate Banking Committee: Sen. Mike Crapo (R-Idaho) chairman and Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio), ranking member;
- Senate Commerce Committee: Sen. Roger Wicker (R-MS) chairman and Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-WA) as ranking member;
- Senate Finance Committee: Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) chairman and Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR.), ranking member; and
- Senate Judiciary Committee: Sen. Lindsay Graham (R-SC.) chairman and Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), ranking member.
House leaders from both parties have recommended new members to the House Financial Services Committee, which include Congressman Al Lawson (D-05). Congressman Charlie Crist (D-St. Petersburg) has been moved to the Appropriations Committee, and it is unknown at this time if Congressman Bill Posey (R-Rockledge) will be selected since the GOP has not finalized its appointments.