Florida credit union officials from Suncoast CU and Fairwinds CU participated on a panel Nov. 15 for the Florida House Insurance and Banking committee. The panel addressed small business lending and job growth in Florida. Jorge Font and Jim Adamczyk of Fairwinds CU participated, along with Melva McKay-Bass of Suncoast CU who also spoke to the panel.
Topics of discussion included:
- How do financial institutions differentiate between lending to legacy accounts vs. new business.
- The regulatory environment in Washington, D.C.
- How CUs are very often a last resort for those seeking a small business loan.
- Small business incubators at colleges and universities.
- Online lending is so quick and convenient, CUs need to adapt and keep up with technological advancements.
- The impact student debt has on lending.