Are your students ready to rumble in the Financial Fitness Tournament? According to Juli Lewis, director of the Southeastern Credit Union Foudation, “If your Chapter did not get involved this year, your high school students are missing out on some great fun and financial education.” Contact Juli to get in the game early for this coming school year.
“For those who are participating, I have some exciting news that may just rev up your students a little,” Juli says. “Everyone knows that four teams will be heading to Orlando on June 8 to the Southeastern Credit Union Conference & Expo at the fancy JW Marriott to compete LIVE for the title of LSCU Financial Fitness Champion. The prizes are fantastic and include travel and hotel stay.”
Prizes in Orlando for Championship Round:
1st place team: $500 each
2nd place team: $200 each
3rd place team: $100 each
4th place team: $50 each
Names of all participating students, including those who don’t make it to Orlando, will be included in a special drawing, and five lucky students will win $100 each. All participating students will also receive dri-fit shirts! Please send student names and shirt sizes to Juli by May 15.
Championship prizes, as well as the special drawings and travel, were made possible by partnership with Corporate America Credit Union! Another special thank you goes out to all credit unions and organizations sponsoring a team this year! Please submit $250 sponsorship for each team as soon as possible to:
Southeastern Credit Union Foundation
Re: Financial Fitness Tournament
3692 Coolidge Ct
Tallahassee, FL 32311
These sponsorships make it possible to provide materials, hold the regional competitions and provide for shirts for all! Everyone will be recognized on the website as well as at the event.
State level competition rules:
- Each Chapter should have one team to represent them.
- Your Credit union should provide an employee to serve as a “referee” for the competition. The credit union employee must coordinate with the team for a time and location to get together so that the game can be monitored.Each team should consist of no more than three students actively answering questions. An alternate may be chosen if needed.
- Each team should play three full games of the “Hall of Fame” level of Financial Football (consecutively). Please schedule the date between now and May 15.
Click here for instructions.
- Be sure to have a credit union employee on site to referee.
- Click on “play the game”
- Select “single player”
- Select “hall of fame level”—choosing any other level will mean disqualification
- Select “full” game
- Select team choice for yourself and for computer opponent
- Play until time runs out and game is announced as over. Take picture of final screen showing score and other stats and email Juli by noon on May 15. DO NOT SEND YOUR SCORE TO ANY OTHER TEAMS! This is a competition!
- You cannot pick and choose which game scores you send. Once you start the competition, the next three games that you play are the ones that count.
What does Juli need from you?
- Your student names and T-shirt sizes (unisex…I would say they run a little large)—this should be for ALL participating students, even if you had more than one team to start.
- The address you would like your team(s) shirts sent to. (If I will be in your area any time soon, I would love to try to arrange to meet the teams and deliver all the goodies, however, please send an address just in case.)
- Picture of the team(s)—make it fun!
- Date that you will be doing your playoff (as described above)—this can be set up any time between now and May 15.
The Top 2 teams in each state (FL and AL) will be announced on May 16. Those teams will represent their state/chapter in LIVE competition at the SCUCE annual convention on June 8 at the JW Marriott in Orlando, FL. Travel and one night hotel stay will be paid for the top teams. If the winning team will be flying in, we can cover two nights at the hotel if necessary. Once the announcement has been made, Juli will be in touch for further details.
Students may continue to practice by playing the same financial football game right up until they are ready to rumble! Strategy is important too…look at score but also try to gain as many yards as you can and create the biggest point spread (don’t let the computer team score many points)! We may also have to look at yardage and difficulty of questions chosen if scores are close.