Detoxification, or detox, is the process of allowing a substance to leave the body while treating and mitigating any withdrawal symptoms. Dependence refers to a physical state in which your body is dependent on the drug. With drug dependence may also come tolerance, which is when you need more and more of a https://ecosoberhouse.com/article/9-most-important-relapse-prevention-skills-in-recovery/ substance to achieve the same effect. You experience mental and physical effects (withdrawal) if you abruptly stop taking the drug. Marijuana’s medicinal properties have not been well studied, particularly among older users, making it difficult for doctors to counsel their patients on the benefits and risks.
- According to MedlinePlus, alprazolam, the medical name for Xanax, is a benzodiazepine medication that reduces abnormal brain activity typical with anxiety disorders.
- Too many people fall into Xanax addiction by accident, assuming that it isn’t dangerous because it’s such a widely prescribed drug, commonly found in households everywhere.
- Your entire body is affected by these overdoses, and the respiratory system, the heart, and the neurological system are all particularly vulnerable.
- Withdrawal can even send the individual into fits of paranoia, rage, and depression.
- You may also want to enroll in an outpatient program if you have a supportive home environment and want to continue working or going to school while getting treatment.
If you answered yes to any of these questions, seek help as soon as possible. A professional can assess your condition and create a personalized treatment plan that meets your needs. As stated above, Xanax may be replaced by a longer-acting benzodiazepine, like Klonopin or Valium, during the detox process. For example, according to a study published in the National Library of Medicine, Flumazenil can be administered to counter the effects of benzodiazepine overdose. Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances. This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur.
Generic Name(S): alprazolam
Some 20 percent of Americans suffer from anxiety, Everyday Health reports. To ensure that this is done correctly, tapering should be carried out under the guidance of a doctor or a drug addiction treatment center. A dosage of 0.25 mg to 0.5 mg of Xanax three times a day of often recommended to treat anxiety.
- Erowid notes two times as many women are using these drugs as men.
- You might wonder if it’s drugs or something different, such as a demanding job or a stressful life change.
- It may seem illogical that one benzodiazepine is being substituted for another, but the two medicines have major differences, especially when Klonopin is used for a short period of time.
Wandler is the chief medical officer of Advanced Recovery Systems, which operates rehab facilities across the United States. Upjohn Laboratories introduced Xanax in the United States in 1981. Unlike Valium, the most popular anti-anxiety drug during the 1970s, Xanax was marketed as the first drug to reduce panic attacks. It’s even more dangerous to take Xanax that you buy on the street because it’s impossible to know exactly what you’re buying. A pill labeled Xanax could actually be a stronger benzodiazepine or a totally different drug. It can lower a person’s ability to make responsible decisions.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Some opioid users seek the fireworks of meth and other stimulants to offset the warm, sleepy embrace of opioids. His patients typically have either Medicaid or private health insurance and a roof over their heads, even if it’s a shelter. Many have steady jobs — dental hygienists, construction workers, tech sales people. The Biden administration has been pouring billions into opioid interventions and policing traffickers, but has otherwise lagged in keeping pace with the evolution of drug use. You may report side effects to FDA at FDA-1088 or at /medwatch.
This medication interacts with GABA receptors in the brain, increasing their effects. By boosting this chemical, nerve activity is reduced in the brain which produces a calming effect throughout the body. With proper care, individuals can safely and effectively wean off Xanax. Followed with supportive therapy and aftercare, these people can go on to lead healthy, balanced lives.
More about Xanax (alprazolam)
Over time, misuse of prescription opiates led to the current opiate crisis, a dramatic increase in heroin use, and a drastic surge in overdose fatalities. Individuals live at the facility temporarily for the duration of treatment, which includes around-the-clock support and monitoring from healthcare xanax addiction professionals and staff. Additionally, individuals participate in individual and group counseling, behavioral therapies, classes, meetings, and skills training. Insight into Xanax abuse comes, in part, from research findings and clinical feedback on what occurs when a person overdoses on Xanax.
- This can include setting an alarm or downloading a reminder app on your phone.
- An October Gallup poll found that about two-thirds of adults 55 and older think the use of marijuana should be legal.
- Tell your healthcare provider if you have abused or been dependent on alcohol, prescription medicines or street drugs.
- When the central nervous system is overly sedated, you could experience heart trouble, respiratory depression, and loss of consciousness.
- Symptoms of Xanax withdrawal can be more severe than that of other benzodiazepines.