2016 Data Breach Trends
- 87 percent of breaches were at businesses with five or fewer locations
- Gift card fraud continues to be on the rise – 31 percent of the consumers purchase gift cards from gift card malls or kiosks (typically found in grocery/convenience stores).
- 2016 experienced less of the big breaches such as Targets/Home Depots; instead SMBs took big hits.
2017 Predictions: Who will be hit hard next year?
- E-commerce fraud will skyrocket
- Smaller merchants that haven’t implemented EMV will continue to get hit hard
- Only 37 percent of merchants are EMV compliant.
EMV Chip Cards: A look back and a look ahead
- 1.7 million U.S. merchant locations have turned on their terminals and are accepting chip card payments.
- 100,000 new EMV terminals were added alone in June.
- The U.S. is the largest chip market in the world with more cards (VISA) than the U.K. combined, the second and third largest chip markets respectively. (per Visa, August 2016). Read more at CUTimes.
Leave A Comment